Friday, June 5, 2009

Eureka Moment

I am learning a new position at my job. I work in a department with 30 women only there are only three males, including the boss. I have a woman training to basic assist or serve people in a dining area. I do not have a problem having a woman instructor, but other woman at job have an issue of a male being train by a female. I am that person wife or woman, because I have to follow her around and make lunches for customers. I think most woman have been impacted by society and the media of a heterosexual male in a different aggressive role or job. I think I would have been social accepted, if I was teaching her the position. Does society have an issue with a male having a less aggressive job, when working a majority female department?

2 comments:

  1. Response to Tiffany G.
    Tiffany,
    A male commenting on how attractive another male is a major taboo in the “male locker room talk.” I think it is a major violation of a rule for males to never answer the question, because a fear as being or accuse being gay. Females are seen as caregiver that allows them to comment on the attractiveness of another woman. The media and talk shows have many women commenting on the looks of another female, but in the media its only homosexual men commenting on the attractiveness of another man. I think this is why men are afraid to comment on the looks of another male in fear as been view as a homosexual by society standards.
    Most of my coworkers at my job are woman. They can tolerate me commenting on the attractiveness of women, but I have a hard time with them doing the same thing. I cannot listen to my woman coworker in fear it would damage my manhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,

    I do think that some people find it more acceptable for the male to have the leading role, where he's in charge,does the training and makes the rules.
    These are old traditional sterotypes that are still held on to. However, I do believe that generation "X" and generation "Y" are more open to the new career roles of both sexes so there will be much more tolerance and acceptability across the board when it comes to certain career choices.

    I'd be happy if I were one of few males on the job, most times women need a few men to balance out the estrogen and visa versa. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete